Students have begun working with their reading teacher (Ms. O’Leary or Mrs. McDonald). This month they will:
- Review routines that will take place during reader’s workshop
- Begin Benchmark Unit 1: The U.S. Constitution: Then and Now. In this unit, students read and compare selections about the development of laws and about people who have fought to change unfair laws to analyze why laws evolve.
Fifth graders begin the year with the following:
- Learn about topic sentences, main ideas, supporting details, and concluding sentences using the Step Up To Writing program.
- Learn how to build a well-structured paragraph.
This month our class will study Eureka Module 1: Place Value and Decimals. During this unit they will focus on the following:
- Students are learning about: place value, rounding decimals, adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing decimals.
- Next, they will learn about Multi-Digit Whole Number and Decimal Fraction Operations
We will begin our new Mosa Mack science curriculum this month, starting with the unit on Atoms and Molecules. Students will solve the mystery presented by Mosa by engaging in a three part learning module: Solving (observing physical and chemical properties), Making (hands-on modeling activity) and Engineering (building off the ‘making’ activity, students will design a prototype for a product to solve the mystery.)
Students are required to read 30 minutes a night in 5th grade. Additional homework may be assigned Monday through Thursday for skill practice and reinforcement; but not to exceed 60 minutes. Good news, no homework will be assigned on Fridays.
Thursday, August 30: Back to School Night 6pm
Friday, August 31: New Family Coffee 8am
Friday, August 31: PTA Volunteer Coffee 8:30am
Monday, September 3: No School (Labor Day)
Thursday, September 13: PIcture Day
Monday, September 24: No School (Staff Development Day)