November 1: 5th grade Read a Thon/PJ day
November 2: End of Trimester 1
November 5-9: Early Dismissal 12:10pm Daily, for Parent/Teacher/Child Conferences
November 12: Veterans Day: No School
November 14: Student Council Fair Day (bring $$ for bake sale and more)
November 15: 2:35 PM 5th grade Percussion practice
November 21-23: Thanksgiving Break (no school)
November 26-30: Play Auditions (after school)
November 27: 5th grade Shakespeare Assembly (1:30pm)
November 29: Math Centers
This month students will be focusing on the second type of writing -- opinion writing.
- Write an On-Demand pre-test essay to see what they know about opinion writing.
- Review the organization of an essay
- Use a graphic organizer to know how to stake a claim/form an opinion and back-up research with facts.
- Conduct research
- Write a final product of a 5 paragraph opinion essay.
- Students are reading the fictional novel, The Sign of the Beaver, in reading. This story highlights a time of early U.S. settlers in Maine during the early 18th century. A boy, Matt, is left alone to guard his cabin while his family is away. Matt learns survival skills and befriends a Native American boy named Attean who teaches him about his culture and helps him survive. Students will discuss the concept of theme and main idea, and support their understanding of the book with text evidence questions.
We are close to halfway through Module 2. The first half of this module students are learning to multiply with multi-digit numbers. The mid module test is on lessons 1-15. In the second half of this unit students will learn to divide three and four digit dividends by two-digit divisors resulting in two and three digit quotients with remainders. Students will also learn to divide with decimals and solve measurement word problems. More information HERE.
Students are completing the final unit on Matter. They are working on the following:
- Learn the difference between atoms, molecules & compounds
- Create a new substance based on chemical research
- Gather and analyze evidence to determine whether a physical change or chemical reaction has occurred.
Seminars ended during the first week of October.
•Reading & math support seminars will continue meeting weekly
•New seminars will begin again in January for all fifth graders
•5-6 weeks of small group instruction
•Mixed groups from all 7 fifth grade classes
•Classes designed with student needs and teacher specialties in mind
We still need more male and female cabin leaders! With seven 5th grade classes this year, we'll need about 15 men and 15 women to make this happen. If we don’t get enough parent cabin leaders, we can’t go to camp.
- Camp: Tuesday, April 2 - Friday, April 5
- New Requirement: Must get Fingerprinting through Live Scan
- Could take as long as 2 months to process!