In October students will:
- Learn the difference between atoms, molecules & compounds
- Work like a materials engineer to create a new substance based on chemical research
- Begin a new unit focusing on weather
Students are continuing to explore Benchmark’s Unit 1: The U.S. Constitution: Then and Now. Throughout the upcoming pieces of text they will:
- identify key details and summarize
- analyze informational and narrative texts
- evaluate an author’s use of language
- compare and contrast texts
- and use text evidence to draw inferences
This month our class will continue studying Eureka Module 1: Place Value and Decimals. During this unit they will focus on the following:
- Students are learning about: place value, rounding decimals, adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing decimals.
- Next, they will learn about Multi-Digit Whole Number and Decimal Fraction Operations
Seminars begin on Tuesday October 2! Seminars are designed give remediation and extension opportunities in order to meet the needs of the individual students in the fifth grade. Seminars will take place every Tuesday and Friday mornings through November, giving students two chances to work in small groups to accomplish specific goals. They will be working with specialists and all 5th grade teachers to learn about a variety of topics.
This month, students are:
- Building a well structured 5-paragraph essay using the t-chart method.
- Beginning informational research writing essay a famous city.
- Students will conclude the unit by writing a short research essay, due Nov. 1st.
Thanks to those who participated in this year’s Walker Creek informational meeting. If you are interested in volunteering to be a cabin leader at Walker Creek please complete the Live Scan paperwork and fingerprinting as soon as possible. If you have previously been fingerprinted for RUSD only, you do not need to go through the Live Scan process again. Remember, we'll need about 15 men and 15 women in order for our 5th grade to go this year.
In case you missed this year’s meeting, attached is the Walker Creek Keynote & Fall Open House Flyer for your review.
- Camp: Tuesday, April 2 - Friday, April
- New Requirement: Must get Fingerprinting through Live Scan
- Could take as long as 2 months to process!
October 1-5: Spelling Bee @ lunch in MPR 12:10-12:40 daily
October 8: Art classes start with Ms. Caldwell
October 9: 5pm Fall Family Festival night
October 11: 5th grade field trip to Rafael Theater
Oct 22-26: RUSD Book Fair
Oct 22: No School: Staff Development Day
October 31: Halloween Parade 1:00pm
November 2: End of Trimester 1
November 5-9 Conference Week: Dismissal Daily at 11:50am